- Features to Consider Before Buying Drop Hitches for Trucks
- Best Drop Hitches for Trucks Review
- 1. Black Boar ATV/UTV Mount with Hitch Winch Strap Loop – 66024
- 2. MaxxHaul 70380 Black/Chrome Adjust Dual Ball Mount
- 3. B&W TS10048B Tow and Stow Magnum Receiver Hitch Ball Mount
- 4. Trimax TRZ12AL 12″ Premium Aluminum Adjustable Hitch
- 5. CURT 45900 Adjustable Trailer Hitch Ball Mount
- 6. Uriah Products Aluma-Tow 6″ Drop Ball Mount for 2″ Receiver (UT623410)
- Buying Guide for best drop hitches for trucks
Life has completely changed these days and everybody wants to enjoy life outdoors or spend good quality time with family and friends without any worries.
But safety is very important when you are on the go and spending time away. So, to protect you and fulfill your needs on the wheels, a good drop hitch for truck is a must to keep by as a high quality adjustable tow hitch will enable you to tow your trailer in a safe manner and without any jiggling.
This is why, we are going to mention some best drop hitches for trucks so that you can get the most from your travel.
Features to Consider Before Buying Drop Hitches for Trucks
The most important question that comes to your mind is how to choose the best drop hitch for your trucks and what features you should consider before investing your money on its purchase. Here, we will discuss some important points that will help you to figure out the exact option.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR BEFORE BUYING A Drop Hitches
Height of the drop hitch
The first thing that you need to understand is that the drop hitch you want to buy for your pick up fully depends on the factor that how high can you raise it.
Commonly, a truck will require a four or six inches drop hitch for working with multiple size trailers, so if you have to add, let us say, at least a 10 inch drop hitch and 4 inch lift kit, it would be the basic requirement.
After figuring the correct size out, you would be able to have a drop hitch that fits really well to your trailer but it is better to try to purchase a little larger size.
Another important feature that cannot be ignored is the capacity of the drop hitch. A premium quality drop hitch has maximum towing capacity for example if you are using the 2 inch ball, it can handle load up to 8000 pounds on the other hand, with the bigger ones its towing capacity is 10,000 lbs.
The complete weight of these two configurations is 1500 lbs. This would be sufficient for many articles which you want to drag like boats, quads, travel trailers and other objects; otherwise if you possess a robust truck and are required to tow even bigger objects, you can look for some other options.
If you are looking for a drop hitch, just keep this point in your mind, it should be light weight. A compact size drop hitch can be installed or removed easily while you are not using it. In terms of material, it should be composed of premium quality material that makes it durable for ages and it can stay with you for longer.
Most of the drop hitches become rusty with the passage of the time. So invest your money on a quality product and try to choose the one that must be corrosion free. Moreover, it should be water resistant too.
Another amazing feature which makes drop hitches mandatory for trucks is its locking system. Most of the drop hitches are available with pintle locks which will provide you the opportunity of pulling trailers which have lunette rings.
Commonly, drop hitches are expensive and you cannot buy this time and again. If you want to save it from being stolen, purchase a locking pin in case if it is not already included in your package.
It is necessary to mention that the drop hitches which are 15 inches or longer are also available with stabilizer kits.
Louder drop hitches
Some drop hitches create noise while you are driving. Noise can be avoided if you get a hitch quieter.
Best Drop Hitches for Trucks Review
1. Black Boar ATV/UTV Mount with Hitch Winch Strap Loop – 66024
This is another amazing product which can be mounted to your UTV or ATV receivers for providing a hitch ball. It has been constructed with durable material, powder coated steel.
This multi hitch can be connected to hitch receiver with a bridge pin and hitch pin and create hitch ball, 5/8 inches pin whole and winch strap.
This kit includes two inch ball, 5/8 inch pin hole, 1-1/4 inch shank, bridge pin and ½ hitch pin. It has the towing capacity of 5000 pounds. This is pretty low as many other products are offering so much more when it comes to towing capacity.
- It has been constructed with durable material, powder coated steel.
- Its towing capacity is very low which is only 5000 lbs. This is pretty low as many other products are offering so much more when it comes to towing capacity.
2. MaxxHaul 70380 Black/Chrome Adjust Dual Ball Mount
This is a very inexpensive yet an easily adaptable tow hitch which can just do all the tasks easily as you need. The two inches and 2 5/16 inch balls and the ball mount have been constructed as one single unit.
On the shank, this ball mount fits flawlessly well in the solid channel of the shank which uses 5/8 inches pins. This drop hitch has a weight capacity of 8000 pounds which comes from the mount, integral ball and channel design.
What makes this tow hitch unique is that it can further extend from the rear. This sounds great specially if you are making use of 7 ½ inch rise and you are aiming at to clear a mounted spare tire.
This is a practical tow hitch which you can use on regular basis for your truck.
- It has a robust ball mount channel.
- It is an inexpensive product as compared to others in the market.
- It has a very long reach from your vehicle.
- The ball mount and ball design has been perfectly integrated.
- There is only one fault with this drop hitch and that is that it fits loosely in the shank which therefore ends up creating some jiggling in the trailer. This hitch can be a little clanky.
3. B&W TS10048B Tow and Stow Magnum Receiver Hitch Ball Mount
Here is another drop hitch from B&W. It features a 5 inches drop. It has three sided ball mount which has 2 5/16 inches, 2 inches and 1 ⅞ inches balls.
For different kinds of trailers, towing becomes very easy due to this product as its ball mount assembly will rotate without having the need to be removed from shank. This hitch can easily tow up to 10,000 lbs.
- It has been constructed with high quality material.
- Multiple shank sizes are available for this hitch.
- You do not need multiple balls as three ball mount feature minimizes the need.
- Some users have complained that there are issues with theft protection feature of this product.
4. Trimax TRZ12AL 12″ Premium Aluminum Adjustable Hitch
Trimax TRZ12AL is another amazing product with some amazing features for towing needs. This is an adjustable hitch which has been manufactured with premium aluminum and features a dual hitch ball.
It has the weight bearing capacity of up to 10,000 lbs for towing weight. It has also been weight tested for Tongue weight for up to 1500 lbs. It features a 12 inches drop and rise and it has been coated with polished solid aluminum with 100% perfection.
The ball mounts of the hitch are highly adjustable and can be easily adjusted down and up 1 inches increments. If you want added rise, you can simply flip the razor and you get what you need.
This product also features dual 2 and 2-5/16 inches chrome ball. Moreover, a receiver lockset and a keyed like ball mount has also been included in the package.
- It has the weight capacity of towing up to 10,000 lbs.
- It comes with a receiver lockset and ball mount.
- It can be adjusted 1 inches increment up and down for meeting your needs.
- It does not have a universal fit.
5. CURT 45900 Adjustable Trailer Hitch Ball Mount
The very first drop hitch for trucks on our list is this CURT 45900 model. This is a 0.5 pound of hitch for trailers. This is a very versatile hitch for trucks which can adapt to any towing requirements. It has a very adjustable design which makes it one of the most liked drop hitch.
As it is easily adjustable, so its channel style shank can be flipped for providing a rise of 5-1/4 and drop of 6 inches.
It has an anti rattle features which is why when you are towing your vehicle, there is no noise and the ride is quieter. It ensures that all vibrations are deterred completely.
It has a very precise fit as it comes with a standard shank which can easily be fitted with any 2X2 trailer hitch receiver. It is perfectly compatible with Class 3, 4 and 5 hitches.
This hitch has been designed against all weather wear and tear conditions. A robust carbide black powder coat finish has been done to the hitch which ensures that no corrosion occurs on the hitch over time and it is protected against salt, dirt, road grime and rain.
- It has the tow capacity of 14000 lbs.
- It has a dual receiver hitch which is 2 and 2-5/16 inches.
- It is a weather resistant hitch which can withstand extreme weather conditions, making it a durable hitch.
- It has been manufactured with high strength steel.
- It has a drop up to 6 inches and raise up to 5-1/4 inches.
- As it has a wide design so a special hitch lock may be required.
6. Uriah Products Aluma-Tow 6″ Drop Ball Mount for 2″ Receiver (UT623410)
This Uriah Products Aluma which is a Tow Drop Ball Mount is another great product on our list. It is a 6 inches drop which can fulfill all of your towing needs with only one product.
This has been rated as one of the top trailer in the market which has the bearing capacity of up to 12000 lbs. With this high towing capacity, you can haul any heavier loads with a lot of ease without facing any extra pressures.
This is an adjustable ball mount which can easily fit in the 2 inches standard square receiver. It also features a max drop distance of 6 inches and its maximum rise distance is 6 ¾ inches and this is also easily adjustable with one inch increments.
There are also three interchangeable hitch balls which made of steel and are also chrome plated. These are of variant sizes which are 2 5/16 inches, 2 inches and 1 7/8 inches and these can easily cover many different vehicles.
In this kit, there are also two locking hitch pins also included which have four keys that can prevent from any theft when they are connected to your vehicle.
- It has high weight towing capacity of up to 12000 lbs.
- It is a versatile product which can be used with many vehicles.
- No cons have been reported by users for this product.
Buying Guide for best drop hitches for trucks
For lifted trucks, there are plenty of options to choose from as you can see from above. But before making any purchase for drop hitches for trucks, you should know few things which are very important to understand.
In this buying guide, we are mentioning some of the most important features which you must keep in to consideration.
- As there are positives of lifting your ride but there are also some negatives too. The very first is the limited accessory list. As when you push your truck a lot further from factory height, your options start to get limited. But from above mentioned drop hitches, you must have seen that a plenty of towing heights options are available. So, you should choose the drop hitch for your truck which is a highly adjustable option as it can meet all of your future towing needs without limiting you but as long as you remain within weight limits.
- Another important factor which needs a lot of consideration while buying drop hitches, is the durability factor as not every hitch has been made from a strong durable material. This is why, it is important that after researching well, you spend your money on the product which can withstand weather wear and tear and does not wreck quickly after heavy use because if you are constantly worried about your drop hitch to fail, you cannot get things done.
- Well, another important question that many people ask is that how can you measure requirements of your drop hitch?
For this, we recommend you to always measure your trailer or truck before ordering any drop hitch and for that you can also read manual which comes with pretty much detailed measurements.
If you want to measure it by yourself then all you have to do is measure from ground to the top inside of receiver’s tube of your vehicle. After that, you must measure from ground to the bottom side of the coupler of your trailer.
This difference which you get from the measurement is the drop/raise requirement of your hitch. Although it is a simple process of measurement but we advise you to double check before buying your hitch.
This article must have enabled you to understand that what features drop hitches for trucks must have when you are going to buy one in the market. Make sure that it can withstand good weight and is according to the requirements of your vehicles so that you don’t waste your money.