- Features To Consider in A Best Shock Absorbers For Light Trucks
- Best Shock Absorbers For Light Trucks Review
- 1. Bilstein (24-186742) 5100 Series Front Shock Absorber
- 2. Monroe Shocks & Struts Max-Air MA822 Shock Absorber
- 3. Bilstein 24191203 Shock Absorber
- 4. ACDelco 580-435 GM Original Equipment Front Shock Absorber
- 5. Bilstein 24-187367 5100 Series Front Shock for Dodge Ram 1500 09
- 6. Gabriel 49235 Hijacker
- 7. Bilstein 24-187374 Shock Absorber B8 Rear Ram 1500 4WD
- 8. ACDelco 519-2 Specialty Spring Assisted Shock Absorber
- Frequently Asked Questions
Most of the people are not well aware of the functions of a shock absorber and they do not know what exactly it is? Basically, a shock absorber is a motorized tool which is specifically designed to grasp and moist shock impulses. Shock absorber does this by transferring the kinetic energy into another shape of energy.
On the other hand, it plays a key role to maintain your automobile’s tyre to be in touch with different road surfaces all the time. Moreover, it makes sure the safest driving control and braking response from your vehicle.
There is no doubt that, all shock absorbers perform same function but they are available in different shapes and sizes. And there are plenty of best shock absorber brands that are truly serving the people.
But somehow, it becomes difficult for you to choose the best shock absorber for light trucks so before buying this, try to figure out which absorber fits well to your vehicle.
Otherwise, it will be a complete waste of money if you do not choose the appropriate shock. Here we will review the products one by one.
Features To Consider in A Best Shock Absorbers For Light Trucks
There is no doubt that shock absorbers are main part of a truck. If you are planning to purchase the best shock absorbers for light trucks, definitely, your mind will be confused and you will be in a dilemma what features you should look for and what are the best shock absorber brands before investing your money on its purchase.
Different brands have manufactured shock absorbers and somehow, it becomes difficult for you to choose the right one. Here, we will discuss some important points that will help you to resolve this issue and you will be able to make a wise decision.
Discuss Some Important points for Shock Absorbers For Light Trucks
Appropriate shock absorber
This is the most important feature that everyone should keep in his mind. Always try to select the exact shock absorber for your truck, before that it is very important to know which type of shock absorber suits well to your vehicle. It will be determined by the kind of automobile that you drive.
Actually, there are few manufacturing companies that particularly design shock absorbers for a specific vehicle, so always focus on this point before finalizing your decision. If you do not put the appropriate shock absorber, it may turn into a disaster and may mar other parts of the truck too.
As far as this feature is concerned, it is not ignorable. Most of the shock absorbers are composed of steel and aluminum. Now, you must be thinking why material is so important? Answer is very simple. It is material that decides the longevity of a shock absorber.
Obviously if you spend your money on a high quality shock, it will stay with you for many years and you do not need to spend money time and again on its purchase. So, it is better to choose a shock that can bear the pressure without any difficulty.
If you want to buy stocks that are engineered with steel, let me make you one thing very clear, they are heavy in comparison with aluminum shock, somehow these can be cheap but they are not easy to install and at the same time, they are not adjustable.
This is the major factor; most of the truck drivers prefer those shocks that are prepared with aluminum. These are considered the most comfortable shock absorbers.
This is another important factor that you need to consider. Try to select a shock absorber that you can fix at your own. Commonly, shock absorbers offer a complete package and you do not require any additional tools as all the necessary parts are already included in this.
As far as, few models are concerned, you may take a help from a professional to fix it properly, otherwise, you can perform this task yourself.
The main purpose of a shock absorber is to stand with the brunt of bumps and quivering from the road and provide a smooth and comfortable ride to its driver. So, do not forget to buy best truckshocks for a smooth ride.
Moreover, just make sure that your desired shock is good enough to handle all the pressure, check out the feature of self lubrication and low friction.
Best Shock Absorbers For Light Trucks Review
On the top of our list is the Bilstein (24-186742) 5100 Series shock absorber as it has been specifically created for SUV’s and trucks. This product features a monotube design and the idea behind this construction is to provide an excellent or you can say fade free performance to its users.
Its design also makes it possible that the user will experience the consistent performance. Another good thing about this shock is the unique digressive piston.
This piston allows the shock absorber to show compatibility with the changing or emerging conditions that occur during the travel on road. This product is velocity sensitive too so that is also worth appreciating.
The weight of this shock absorber is 5.09 pounds and package dimensions of this product are 67.5*7.5*7.8 (H*L*W) centimeters. This is among the most comfortable shock absorbers as it is easy to use and the results also remain consistent throughout the drive.
So this product will never disappoint you with its performance. And I really mean it.
- It is equally well-suited to SUV’s and trucks.
- Always give you the consistent performance.
- Whatever the road conditions are, the digressive piston will make it compatible with those conditions.
- You will experience a visible difference in steering after installing this absorber in your vehicle.
- Not such a heavy product.
- Quality is really satisfactory.
Overall this is a good product but it shows some disadvantages.
- Some users complain that it is not as comfortable in use as it is portrayed.
- These shocks are bit hard and some users complained about this problem.
Well the second product that we are going to review over here is the Monroe Shocks & Struts Max-Air MA822. Actually they are the rear shocks that are air adjustable and they have been designed to carry heavy loads that may be of 100 lbs and they also help in towing the trailers that is really good.
These shock absorbers are self leveling product so they do not show compatibility with the fixed electronics. Users will be happy to know that they are available in the form of pair and push on connections isalso available on the each shock through the air pressure intake port.
This product also offers a monotube construction that really makes it a durable product for users. When we talk about its performance, we come to know that it works really well in the presence of all road imperfections. Stable or consistent performance is guaranteed when you are using this product.
An important thing about this shock is that its internal valving is not meant to hold the vehicles on the front end so you are not advised to put dampers on its front. The weight of this product is11 pounds and the other dimensions are 21.1*7.8*3.4 inches.
- Such a durable product that can be used for a couple of years easily/.
- Material of piston is really solid and quite stronger than the regular ones.
- Lubricated air cover provides very low friction and thus it helps to provide a very smooth operation.
- Air line fitting is not provided with this product so users have to buy them separately.
- Feature of the extended hydraulic lock out is lacking that brings a few thumbs down for this product.
Now we will talk about another top notch product of the town that is really known well for not only its quality but also it shows the best result in performance. If you are looking for the best truck shock absorbers for the smooth ride then go for it.
This product also comes from the Bilstein series and features a mono tube design. This shock has been designed to enhance the element of control and handling and it really makes sure that your ride is smooth.
Fade free performance is the emblem of this shock absorber because of its design and this mono tube design really makes it worthy for multiple grounds.
Well the key feature of this tool is its digressive piston and its sensitivity to velocity. So in the presence of these two features, this shock shows instant response with the continuous road changing conditions.
Transition becomes really smooth from one surface to others. The weight of this shock absorber is 5.47 pounds.
- It gives you the consistent performance all the time.
- When the road conditions change, shock absorber instantly reacts to these changes.
- Better handling and enhanced control is possible with this tool.
- Durable product as it features the quality material.
- Such a good product that is available in a reasonable price.
- It has been noticed that damping is a bit soft for the heavy truck.
- Some users complain that this product is not so good for off the road surface.
This is considered as the best light duty truck shock as the weight of this product is just 1 pound and the other dimensions of this product are 24.7*5.6*5.2 inches. This is really suitable for those who use light weight trucks and they need a smooth and comfortable ride. While looking into the market, you will learn about this shock a lot because it is remarkable in its performance.
ACDelco 580-435 GM is a bit pricey then its competitive products but it really worth. This shock provides reliable performance and the quality is too good that you will never feel disappointed. This product provides you the proper feel and control of it when you are on the road and it handles all the road changing conditions in a great way.
This shock absorber has been designed to perfectly fit the GM vehicles and this flawless shock absorber will really has a capacity to amaze you with its quality, performance and last but not the least is the durability.
- This product has been designed according to the GM OE qualifications.
- This is really a long lasting shock absorber because it features a high quality material.
- Reliable product that never disappoints its user.
- Extremely light in weight.
- For the precise and simple replacement, hardware is included.
- Smooth and enhanced control is guaranteed.
It has just a single disadvantage.
- This product is pricier as compared to the other products but who have used this product, they say that it really worth this price.
Another good product that belongs to the Bilstein series is the Bilstein 24-187367 5100. And it falls in the category of the best shock absorbers for light trucks because its height can be adjusted easily. Ideally this shock absorber is compatible with Dodge Ram 1500 09 because it features the coil over style of the suspension.
The feature of mono tube design is same like of other shocks that we have mentioned above. Mono tube design means that it also has a digressive piston that is of 46 mm. This piston holds the self regulatory deflective disc valving. In addition to this, there are so many snap ring grooves that are present in the shock body.
This feature is really important as it let the user enjoy the multiple spring seat positions. When the size is compared with the other products, we learn that it is not so heavy or not too light. The weight of this shock absorber is 5.64.
The other dimensions of this tool are 68.58*8.89*10.16 (H*L*W) centimeters. This product is equally good for SUV’s and the trucks.
- Such a good product that allows different positions of spring seats with the help of snap ring groove.
- Not a heavy shock absorber.
- It is an ideal product for SUV’s and the trucks.
- Feature of the adjustable height is worth mentioning here.
- Such an amazing shock absorber that provides enhanced wheel travelling facility.
- This shock levels the truck perfectly.
- This product features a zinc plated body of steel so there is no need to worry or hurry in case of the harsh conditions. This body will guard the shocker.
- Overall this is such a great product and no visible con has been experienced in its working that needs to be explained here.
There are plenty of best shock absorber brands in the market that have amazed the people with their products and among those great brands, one is Gabriel. Gabriel has introduced Gabriel 49235 Hijacker that is really a nice product.
This is an adjustable air damper that is really good for heavy loads or an ideal product for trailers too. This is the very famous tool as it performs really well and never disappoints its users. It is also known as the best shock for the short term heavy loads and for the temporary towing.
The good feature of this product is that it minimizes the chances of bottoming out and it can facilitate leveling of per pair up to 1100 lbs that is really amazing.
Gabriel 49235 Hijacker has an excellently finished chrome piston that provides great resistance against corrosion. Its piston is leak proof so this feature also enhances the overall life of this product.
The weight of this absorber is 12 pounds and the other dimensions of this product are 19.5*6.63*4.13 inches. Really meant to improve handling and the chances of losing the rear are also very less.
- It’s tough and solid design really makes it prominent among other shock absorbers.
- Chromed Finish piston rod provides great resistance against corrosion.
- This is an easy to install and use product.
- This is a maintenance free shock absorber so it shows that you can use this product for a couple of years without any trouble.
- Sometimes it happens that the inflator does not work with the concerning valve stem.
- Its valve system is of plastic that is somehow a con of this shock absorber.
Well all the products of Bilstein series are good and really promising in their performance so at number seven we will discuss another equally good product and that is Bilstein 24-187374. You can also call it the best shock absorber to work with.
This product has been designed to make a fade free performance and the people who have used this product they will definitely agree about its performance. And as I said earlier, it is among the best shock absorbers brands so quality and service is guaranteed.
This shock is really an ideal tool for the light weight trucks. Its mono tube design really makes it worthy of use. Its straightforward installation really makes it worth appreciating. It comes with a digressive piston that is velocity sensitive so it is highly reactive to the changing conditions of the road.
And it makes sure that you have the quality, consistent rides. The weight of this shock is 5.6 pounds. This shock provides optimal performance as each shock undergoes a specific application of tuning for the sake of excellent performance.
- This is such a great product that provides fade free performance.
- It is quite easy to install this product in your vehicle.
- Its piston is velocity sensitive so this really makes your ride smooth.
- Feature of lifetime warranty is great.
- Optimal performance is a surety as each shock experiences some specified application tuning.
- There is only one con of this product and this is the non adjustability of the shocks otherwise this product is good.
Now the product that I am going to review is the ACDelco 519-2 and you can really call it the most comfortable shock absorber. This is a spiral shock absorber that comes in a very vibrant color and in the form of pair.
Springs are attached to the cylinder type rod and that is of inside it and spring covers it from the outer side. This design provides you the more stability and when it is used as a front shock, it helps to maintain you the overall height that is really awesome. The weight of this product is 14.67 pounds and the other dimensions of this product are 27.7*7.5*3.7 inches.
The shock and spring technology really helps to minimize the height loss in case of the current loading conditions. Its variable rear coil is meant to facilitate 500 pounds load capacity that is per torque.
This product comes with the proper finish that makes it highly resistant against corrosion and wear and tear. It’s all the inner parts are rightly protected so this features really enhances the life of this product. This product has been properly tested to make it sure that it fits and works properly.
- It is provided in the form of pair.
- Such a durable product as it features chrome piston rod.
- Spring and shock technology work simultaneously to give awesome results.
- These shocks really help to maintain the height of truck regardless of its load.
- A really good product that is available in a reasonable price.
- Provides great resistance against corrosion.
- This product does not come with the life time warranty. There is no other issue have been experienced with this product.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many types of shock absorber are there?
The most important question that strikes to your mind is how many types of shock absorbers are available in market. Basically, there are three kinds of shock absorbers, Strut type shock absorbers, Conventional telescopic shock absorbers and spring seat shocks.
What is the difference between shock absorber and struts? Are they both same?
Answer is very simple. They both are different and work in a different way. They both provide a smooth ride as far as driving experience is concerned. Your automobile may have both these tools but it depends on what features are offered in your vehicle.
When we talk about shocks, their main function is to restrict the sway and bounce of your automobile when it is on the road. On the other hand, struts are a systematic part of your suspension system and they should be in a proper place and work appropriately which is really helpful to keep your vehicle moving.
Which gas is used in a shock absorber?
This is another very important question that people usually ask. Nitrogen gas is used in a shock absorber. It keeps the shock absorber cooler in comparison to oil shock absorbers.
We will conclude the topic with this note that a shock absorber is the most important component in a suspension. Nobody can deny this fact that it has a big impact on car braking and handling. You cannot make sure a smooth ride if your shock absorber is not working well.
Different manufactures have introduced new technologies keeping in mind the needs of the masses like pneumatic, hydraulic and active system. Now, it depends on you how to tune it to get the desired results.
As far as, shock absorbers are concerned, they are well appreciated for its absorbing and controlling pitch capacity. On the other hand, it is a great tool to roll from cornering, accelerating and braking forces.
In terms of installation, it can be fixed in the automobiles with less change in the traditional suspension system. Last but not least they are considered ideal due to their comfort and performance. Select the best shock absorber for light truck and enjoy your ride.