- Features to consider in the best tailgate locks
- What is the best tailgate lock
- Buying Guide for Best Tailgate locks
In this busy world, a single moment of distraction will be enough for any outsider to steal precious items from the bed of your truck and you won’t be able to take any action. Your valuables may be gone way before than you realize or do something about it.
As a truck driver, you are always needed to keep important safety kits, tire chains, screwdrivers, flash lights, extra batteries and other material in your vehicle so that you can use them in time of need. But if, with an easily accessible truck bed, someone steals your stuff, you might left with no options in the wild or off the road specially in case of emergencies. This is why, it is very important that you install a high quality latch system or lock on your tailboard for securing your precious items.
Even if you are thinking that you do not keep any precious items in back of your truck but you still need to install a tailgate lock as tailboards itself are pretty prone to thefts and replacing the stolen one with a new one can cost you a lot of money.
This is why, it is important that you invest few bucks in installing a tailgate lock in your vehicle so that you don’t have to spend thousands.
In the lines below, we have listed ten best tailgate locks from many different brands, both manual and automatic, which you can install in your tailboard against any kind of thefts. This list will enable you to make a sound decision about your purchase as we cannot fixate on a single product. You will have to make your own decision depending on the type of vehicle you own and ease of accessing the rear side.
Features to consider in the best tailgate locks
Always try to buy a tailgate lock that fits best to your car. Thanks to technology as it has solved so many problems. In case of tail gate locks it is as true as you can buy a universal or a standard size tail gate at any time.
People who are confused and who do not know which tail gate will remain suitable or who do not know about customization of tail gates, Universal standard tailgates will really help them in meeting their needs. Universal locks get fit to most of the vehicles.
This is a feature that really matters while selecting the best tailgate lock. Tailgates made of good plastic or stainless steel is ideal for vehicles as they are really strong and durable. On the other hand, Polycarbonate construction is cheaper but it is another good alternate for the people whose budget is not so high. A durable lock really makes your investment long lasting and you have no need to worry about your vehicle being stolen.
These tailgate locks offer a tail gate hinge system. There is a fixed and a rotating cup portion. This rotation of the hinge axis allows the rotation of adapter in both the directions so the good adapter cups are necessary for a tailgate lock.
Easy and simple installation
Feature of quick and easy installation must be considered too while choosing the best tailgate lock because if it is hard to install then it may create problem for you.
What is the best tailgate lock
1. McGard 76029 Tailgate Lock, Black
This McGard 76029 Tailgate Lock is second best tailgate lock on our list today. If you do not want any hassle in your life for installing a tailgate lock, this one is for you. For simpler needs, this model has been manufactured by McGard. Its weight is 1.6 ounces and its dimensions are 7.2 x 6 x 1.5 inches.
It is pretty easy to install and you will be amaze that how little time it takes for installation. All you have to do is to wrap it around hinge pin of tailgate of your truck. It is not a lengthy procedure which you have to follow with other models.
After wrapping around, you can tighten the bolt so that it can lock itself. For making it perfectly fit to your vehicle, you can add a small hose clamp. Moreover, you do not have to be worried about your paint get scratched when this lock is in working mode as it has been designed considering that.
Stainless Steel and Polycarbonate materials have been used for its manufacturing. The metal has a very safe plastic layer on top of the surface which fights with any corrosion or rust over time.
- Polycarbonate material has been used in its manufacturing which provides a safe layer to the metal.
- Its installation is easy and quick.
- No scratch marks are seen on your vehicle with the use of this tailgate lock.
- It manual latch system can also work alongside any automatic latch system.
- While opening the gate, you do not have to remove the bolt.
- This product does not fit into many models of cars.
2. Master Lock Tailgate Lock, Stainless Steel, 8253DAT
In our list of tailgate locks, Master Lock Tailgate Lock 8253DAT has made a number one spot for its features. Master lock has come up with a solution that can help you with keeping your tailgate and its contents safe and secure from any kind of thefts.
This latch system has a stainless steel body and a cover which helps protect its keyhole. It is a weather friendly latch system which does not rust or have wear and tear for a very long time even during harsh weather.
Its weight is 7.2 ounces and its dimensions are 8.7 x 5.7 x 0.7 inches. This product is suitable with many different cars from Toyota, Chevrolet Silverado, Dodge, Ford and GM trucks.
This Master Lock fits very well into any vehicle as there is only half inch of width between bed and hinge. Its installation process only needs 15 minutes but it will be better if you can watch a couple of videos online about its installation as that will quicken the process of learning and installing.
- Its metal body is made of high quality material which can last long.
- This product can fit in to wide range of vehicles.
- You do not have to carry an extra key all the time.
- When you are opening the tailgate, you do not have to remove the bolt.
- Velcro strips used in the product help avoid a lot of rattling.
- It is not completely fool proof product for securing your truck bed.
3. Bully LH-007WD Factory Replacement Rear Trunk Tailgate Lock
This Bully LH-007WD Integrated lock is one of the best tailgate lock which you can use for any model of Dodge Ram pickup truck from 2000-2008 as it can fit in all these models. It has a built in handle which has been designed to replace your old handle and can give a new and refreshed look to your vehicle.
This model can beautifully replace the old handle of your vehicle as it has been made with a top notch quality plastic material on the metal latch which does not lose its shine even after many years.
This has a standard size bolt system with a weight of 11.2 ounces and its dimensions are 10.5 x 6.5 x 3.25 inches. This is very easy to install. All you have to do is rip off the inner cover and unscrew all the bolts on the handle. Simply place it on the spot of the old handle and screw tight the new one.
The package of this product comes with a complete guide included which tells you in detail that how can you install it if you do not know ABC of a tailgate lock installation process.
This lock helps secure tailgate of your truck from any kind of theft. For truck caps and truck bed covers, these latch systems work perfect.
- This package comes with two keys which makes things easy for you.
- Plastic cover on top of metal is made of good quality and last longer.
- Latching mechanism has been manufactured in a way that it works smoothly without causing any issues.
- It is easy to install.
- It is possible that the bolt cylinder gets corroded as years go by.
4. 07-19 Toyota Tundra Power Tailgate Lock
This Toyota Tundra Power Tailgate Lock 07-19 is known as one of the best electric tailgate locks. This is manufactured by Pop and Lock company. Its weight is 1.4 pounds and its dimensions are 11.5 x 4.75 x 3.25 inches. This Pop & Lock PL8535 model is a great way to secure rear side of your vehicle.
It has a power latch system which helps ensure that no one can steal your tailboard. It is compatible with two models of Toyota i.e. Toyota Tundra and Toyota Tacoma. This bolt system has been manufactured in a way that its wiring works with your door remote so you do not have to carry an extra remote.
You do not have to go to professionals for its installation. After watching a couple of videos online, you will be able to install it pretty quick. The package comes with all necessary wires.
- It has an automatic power latch system.
- It comes with all needed wires required for installation.
- Wires remain hidden after installation of the lock system.
- Without any professional help, you can do the installation.
- It is one of the expensive lock systems to ensure safety of your tailboard from theft.
- The instructions on the manual are not clear enough so you have to pay extra attention during its installation.
- It is not a cheap option.
5. Pop & Lock PL5400 Black Manual Tailgate Lock
Pop and Lock is a highly admired brand in the world for its safety tailgate lock products and this model Pop & Lock PL5400 is another amazing product which has made its place in our list of tailgate locks. This is a manual latch system which comes in black color.
Its weight is 14.4 ounces and its dimensions are 11.5 x 4.75 x 3.25 inches. Although it is a manual latch system but it is still going to amaze you with the codeable technology it offers. This brings convenience and hassle free experience for you with its manual system as you do not have to put an additional key in your keychain as it uses the same key which you use for unlocking your vehicle.
All you have to do is put that key inside the latch and turn around and you have successfully locked or unlocked your vehicle with one key feature of this bolt system. This latch system is as good with or without a backup camera on your tailboard. If you want to install a camera for more safety, the bolt can quickly pop out and you can install your camera easily.
This PL5400 model is compatible with many models of Toyota Tacoma from the year 2005-2015.
It is an easy to install locking system which require only twenty minutes. Whole process is easy and you do not need any special tools or extra wires for its installation.
- It has codeable technology in this model which does not require you to have extra keys in keychain.
- It is a manual latch system.
- You do not need additional wires for installation.
- Its installation is easy, only 20 minutes are required for the job.
- Its plastic handle may break as time goes by.
Buying Guide for Best Tailgate locks
Before you make up your mind for buying any specific type of tailgate lock for your vehicle, it is very important to know that what features should lead your decision. This is why, in the lines below, we are mentioning a buying guide for buying best tailgate lock so that you know why you are making a specific decision.
Type of Tailgate Locks
There are two different types of latches for your vehicle which depend on the locking mechanism.
Universal locks are always manufactured in standard sizes which are normally suitable for all types of vehicles which feature a generic system. So, if you are not a pro with tailgate locks and do not know exactly that which bolt should you pick for fitting in your car, you should pick a universal lock. There is high chance that these will work absolutely fine with the tailgate.
As these are known as most popular bolts so these universal bolts are easily available in the market.In other cases, if you are still unsure that if a specific lock is either compatible with your car or not, you can simply go online, add your vehicle’s specifications and it will provide you all detail that whether a specific lock will work for your vehicle or not.
Another type of bolts is the custom made bolts. This means that there are bolts available in the market which will work perfectly for your car’s model and specially designed for that purpose. In markets, there are a number of truck specific latch designs available which can provide your car with the exact fit which you are looking for.
Famous brands like Nissan Titan, Toyota Tundra, Ford and Honda Ridgeline produce a wide range of lock designs which are available for customers to choose according to their vehicle requirements. So, you can either go for a custom latch system or universal one depending on your preferences.
- Material: Remember that bolts which have been manufactured from poor quality material will serve no purpose. A component which is required to safeguard your vehicle must be robust so that it does not have a faulty mechanism and lasts long.
- Stainless steel: As far as durability of locking system is concerned, stainless steel bolts are categorized as one of the most durable material as these do not lose its color and have a shiny look. These are also corrosion resistant and can bear extreme weathers.
- ABS Plastic and Steel: Some of the bolts are manufactured with both steel and high quality ABS plastic. This is done in order to ensure that your latch becomes corrosion and chemical resistant as ABS plastic material possess these qualities. Important thing is that this combination material of lock is environment friendly as it can be reused after melting down when it wears down or when it stops working as a locking system.
- Installation: Another important factor to consider is installation of the locking system. Always make sure that your bolts do not need any extra welding or drilling for set up. If you can choose the one which can be installed without having the need to remove tailgate and have all hardware and wires in the package, you will have a best deal.
- Operation system: Operation system is another important factor to consider while buying best tailgate lock. It is important to know that not all latches need keys for operation. Some latches may or may not require a key depending on the design and model of the latch.
- Manual lock: Not all vehicles are compatible with power latch systems so a manual lock system work well for any vehicle. You can choose a manual lock which uses same ignition key for opening and closing tailboard as it will be highly convenient and you won’t need an extra key for this purpose.
- Power lock: Power lock is known as automated system which frees you from the need of locking your tailboard every time. This locking system adjusts itself accordingly when you lock or unlock your vehicle. This system is very useful as when you lock your car, your truck bed is also locked and you do not have to check it separately.
In aforementioned lines, we have listed ten best tailgate locks which you can buy from market for installing in your vehicle. Always make sure that you invest your money in a latch system which can withstand all weather wear and tear, easy to install and made of high quality material so that it can last long and save you some money. If you are still unsure that which lock you should buy, you can go for universal locks which work for all vehicles.